Senior Pensions Consultant (Public Sector Team)
Aon Hewitt are currently recruiting a Senior Consultant to join our team in St Albans. The Senior Consultant role is a highly valued client facing role, you will develop and deliver our client services in relation to benefits and governance services, providing technical expertise in these areas. You will have responsibility for delivery of client services to LGPS administering authorities or other public sector clients. You will also be expected to grow the breadth and depth of benefits and governance solutions Aon is able to offer its benefits clients. This is a newly created additional Consultant role for Aon, as this team is growing rapidly; therefore this opportunity presents excellent career prospects, along with inspiring leadership.
About Aon Hewitt
Aon Hewitt empowers organisations and individuals to secure a better future through innovative talent, retirement and health solutions. We advise, design and execute a wide range of solutions that enable clients to cultivate talent to drive organisational and personal performance and growth, navigate risk while providing new levels of financial security, and redefine health solutions for greater choice, affordability and wellness. Aon Hewitt is the global leader in human resource solutions, with over 30,000 professionals in 90 countries serving more than 20,000 clients worldwide. For more information on Aon Hewitt, please visit www.aonhewitt.com
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
As a Senior Consultant some of your key responsibilities will involve:
- As a trusted advisor, you will be competent in the specialist areas of LGPS benefits, with a high level of knowledge in relation to the calculation and communication of scheme benefits as well as the governance of the scheme.
- You will also have knowledge of the broader market particularly in relation to public sector services. You will lead advice to clients (mainly LGPS administering authorities) and provide guidance to your Aon colleagues within the public sector benefits and governance space.
- You will identify and develop public sector client solutions in relation to benefits and governance matters.
- You may work with Aon colleagues who work with non-public sector clients to share ideas and assist in developing new or better Aon benefits solutions which can be used by public and private sector clients.
- You will take responsibility for delivery of client services to LGPS administering authorities or other public sector clients and may also have overall responsibility for benefit and governance services to specific clients. This may include being recognised by the client for taking responsibility and accountability for all Aon’s services.
- You will be aware of all projects and key work activity on your clients, and have a strong understanding of current market issues in relation to the public sector as a whole, but with a particular focus on benefits and governance elements.
- In meetings, you will play the lead role on a full range of public sector benefits and governance items.
- You will be comfortable working with colleagues across different specialisms to deliver client advice.
- You will be able to cover principal issues (where there are no regulatory constraints) with clients across a wider range, before involving other specialists as needed.
- You will take responsibility for ensuring deadlines and budgets are met across a range of projects on your clients, with good management of client and colleague expectations.
- You will ensure that services are delivered to clients cost effectively and thus provide strong value for money.
- Your clients will see you as an integral part of the service they are buying. You will work in partnership with your clients, identifying solutions for their challenges and highlighting better ways of working that could enhance their own services.
- You will apply your understanding of Aon’s services, and your clients, to navigate clients to the best solution or most appropriate colleague.
- Responsible for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
As a Senior Consultant your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Experience from a role with responsibilities relevant to this position; from the UK public sector pensions consulting environment, including delivering relevant services.
- Solid level of technical and governance expertise in relation to public sector LGPS benefits matters, preferably also in relation to the Police, Fire and other public sector schemes, including historical knowledge.
- This should include an excellent understanding of calculating and communicating scheme benefits and related employer and administering authority responsibilities, as well as public sector pension scheme governance structures and processes.
- To have a network of existing public sector contacts at clients or potential clients as well as other organisations (e.g. government or national associations)
- Preferably a Professional Qualification with a strong focus on public sector pensions (e.g. CIPP Foundation Degree in Pensions Administration and Management) or an alternative Professional Qualification relating to pensions such as PMI.
- Ability to work under own initiative as well as through others.
- Ability to identify the potential for new or wider client solutions and to be able to develop those solutions.
- Strong communication skills - both written and verbal and with all levels of seniority.
- Excellent client relationship and management skills.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, prioritises work well and uses initiative to stay ahead of deadlines.
- Ability to multi task and respond to changing priorities.
- Live our values through being flexible, approachable, helpful and supportive of colleagues.
- A “can-do” attitude, positive approach to change, a mind-set of process improvement and willingness to learn new skills.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare, childcare vouchers and additional holiday.
We’re happy to talk flexible working. If you need to flex your working pattern, Aon offers flexible and agile working policies and we’re happy to discuss options with you upon application.