Aon Hewitt are currently recruiting a Legal Counsel to join our team in London. The Legal Counsel will be primarily responsible for supporting the Chief Counsel in reviewing, identifying and advising on key legal and risk matters relating to the Aon Retirement and Investment business in EMEA.
About Aon Hewitt
Aon Hewitt empowers organisations and individuals to secure a better future through innovative talent, retirement and health solutions. We advise, design and execute a wide range of solutions that enable clients to cultivate talent to drive organisational and personal performance and growth, navigate risk while providing new levels of financial security, and redefine health solutions for greater choice, affordability and wellness. Aon Hewitt is the global leader in human resource solutions, with over 30,000 professionals in 90 countries serving more than 20,000 clients worldwide. For more information on Aon Hewitt, please visit www.aonhewitt.com
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
As a Legal Counsel some of your key responsibilities will involve:
- Legal project work relating to the establishment new products,
- Support to the business in respect of larger commercial transaction and strategic agreements,
- Providing guidance to the business in respect of the new products and identifying risks,
- Negotiation of standard form documentation such as investment management agreements and consulting agreements,
- Drafting and negotiation of bespoke legal documentation to facilitate the delivery of the new products with service providers,
- Reviewing product specifications and other business documentation from a legal perspective,
- Assisting with the legal requirements of a business that is growing from a significant base in the UK into a number of different European jurisdictions,
- Working with external counsel in order to ensure compliance with local laws and regulations,
- Working with the Aon Hewitt central regulatory compliance function,
- Formal management responsibility for other members of the legal team located in London and acting as an escalation point,
- Responsible for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
As a Legal Counsel your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Degree educated or equivalent.
- Qualified lawyer (whether in the UK or abroad) or equivalent.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- Strong drafting and interpersonal skills,
- High level of integrity and professionalism,
- Excellent time management, organisation and prioritisation skills,
- Formal management responsibility for other legal professionals,
- Self-starter and enthusiasm to learn about new areas,
- Flexibility and initiative,
- Conscientiousness and attention to detail,
- Logical and enquiring mind,
- Credible and respected,
- Ability to gain confidence from seniors and peers,
- Influence, persuade and negotiate,
- good experience in a regulatory investment environment,
- Strong commercial contracting experience, with emphasis on strategic agreements and partnerships,
- Previous Pensions experience is not a prerequisite as the Lawyer will not be expected to provide technical pensions advice, however knowledge of DC Pensions would be beneficial,
- Previous experience in supporting new product development would also be helpful.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare, childcare vouchers and additional holiday.