Senior Project Manager
Aon are currently recruiting a Senior Project Manager to join our team in Chelmsford. The Senior Project Manager will be primarily responsible for:
- To manage strategic projects or initiatives across ARS UK and GBC within time, quality and cost which deliver agreed benefits and outcomes.
- To manage issues, risks and project change requests to ensure successful delivery of projects.
- Contribute to process improvement initiatives as it relates to improving project delivery.
- Ensure deliverables are clearly established with responsibility assigned and accepted by owners.
- Drive projects to completion within agreed timescales, financials and to agreed quality, ensuring that the benefits and outcomes are in line with expectations.
- To regularly capture and report on project progress to key stakeholders.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
As a Senior Project Manager some of your key responsibilities will involve:
Deliver Project Management Programme
It is the responsibility of a senior project manager to develop and deliver a project management program encompassing all the details of a project to the team members. Identify all the internal and external resources required to complete the project successfully.
- Ownership - Full project life cycle ownership: successful project delivery will include full implementation from initiation to deployment and close down for one major or several minor initiatives simultaneously.
- Multiple projects - Manage all aspects of multiple related projects to ensure the overall programme is aligned to and directly supports the achievement of strategic objectives.
- Plans - Prepare estimates and detailed project plan for all phases of the project.
- Success Criteria - Define success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project and programme life cycle.
- Resources - Procure adequate resources to achieve project objectives in planned timeframes and manage the day-to-day project activities, resources and chair the project management team meetings.
- Interdependencies - Understand interdependencies between operations, technology and business needs.
- Scope - Manage project scope and changes.
- Quality - Act as an internal quality control check for the project, managing ongoing quality control and participation in quality issue resolution.
- Suppliers - Work with internal and external suppliers to define the Statement of Work and Specifications for the requested solutions and services.
- Engagement - Develop and manage all aspects of project and program engagement from planning, external vendor relationships, communications, resources, budget, change, risks and issues.
- Control - Ensure that projects and programmes are proceeding according to scope, schedule, budget and quality standards. Monitor, track and control outcomes to resolve issues, conflicts, dependencies and critical path deliverables.
- Issues & Risks - Manage project and programme issues and risks to mitigate impact to baseline.
Set realistic and practical goals for the project and develop appropriate strategies for achieving these goals. Provide coaching and guidance to the team members about every aspect of the project so that the team members can understand their tasks fully and act on them efficiently. Develop tools and techniques for distributing tasks according to the skills of every team member and also to evaluate the performance of all team members.
- Coaching - Provide on-site leadership for project team by building and motivating team members to meet project goals, adhering to their responsibilities and project milestones. Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project and program team.
- Delegate - Set and continually manage project and program expectations while delegating and managing deliverables with team members and stakeholders. Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Reviews - Monitor the performance of staff and carry out performance reviews and development planning.
Provide effective, concise and appropriate documentation and reporting to team and stakeholders.
- Status Reporting - Provide status reporting regarding project milestones, deliverable, dependencies, risks and issues, communicating across leadership. Determine the frequency of status reports from the project and programme team, analysing results and troubleshooting problem areas.
- Project Documentation - Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation and presentations to various audiences, including project team, sponsors, COO and key stakeholders.
- Success - Report on project success criteria results, metrics, test and deployment management activities.
Keep an eye of latest strategies, tools and terminologies used in project management worldwide.
- Good Practice - Participate in establishing practices, templates, policies, tools and partnerships to expand and mature these capabilities for the organization.
- Problem Solving - Work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation and excellence.
- Functional Acumen - Demonstrate a functional acumen to support how solutions will address client goals while maintaining alignment with industry best practices.
- New Solutions - Participate and/or drive feasibility studies, vendor selections and proposals for evaluation by appropriate key stakeholders.
- Professional Development - Continue in order to keep abreast of emerging technologies, methods and best practices.
Develop and execute an efficient internal communication strategy for ensuring communication with all levels of stakeholders.
- Trusted Advisor - Identify and develop trusted adviser relationships with project and programme stakeholders and sponsors.
- Communications - Deliver appropriate and effective business and executive level communications.
- Responsible for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
As a Senior Project Manager your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- Degree level or equivalent.
- Project management (e.g. PRINCE2, PMP).
- Ability to initiate, grow and maintain strong working relationships at all levels including executive sponsors, business leaders, subject matter experts and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to manage executive and senior staff and skilled in the management of stakeholder expectations.
- Ability to adapt content, style and level of detail of written and verbal communications to fit numerous, diverse audiences, selecting the most effective method in each case.
- Ability to understand, articulate and translate complex business problems in order to define clear activities which result in a desired solutions.
- Effective in identifying problems, performing analysis to determine root causes and skilled in the provision of workable solutions.
- Ability to identify and pursue the successful completion of key project products simultaneously ensuring quality and timeliness of all outputs.
- Able to manage numerous projects simultaneously, prioritising key actions to ensure close management of stakeholders and action owners in order to achieve successful delivery of project products and outputs.
- Extensive understanding of Project Management methodologies (such as Prince 2) and structures and can demonstrate a pragmatic application of these appropriate to a given audience and/or situation.
Proven experience in:
- The successful initiation, planning, execution and closure of projects.
- Proven track record of technology deployment, process improvement, growth initiative development and delivery and a firm grasp of operational management principles.
- Managing large complex teams made up of dedicated project and BA capability as a well as elements of SME resource.
- Negotiating with all parts of an organisation in order to secure resource and/or budget, meet deadlines, attain approvals, embed process and manage conflicts.
- Facilitation of project meetings; internal and third parties, including online/conference calls.
Proven ability in:
- An insurance or insurance broking environment of at least three years.
- Working creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment demonstrating teamwork, innovation and excellence.
- Required proven track record within technology deployment, process improvement, growth initiative development and delivery and a firm grasp of operational management principles.
- Process mapping, lean methodology and operational improvement implementation.
- Use of MS Project, Visio, Word, Excel and PowerPoint to an advanced level.
- Direction, leadership and motivation of project teams.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare, childcare vouchers and additional holiday.