Aon are currently recruiting a Accountant to join our team in London. The Accountant will be primarily responsible for statutory accounting and reporting responsibility for the UK and Aon plc Holding Companies. Ideal candidate will be technically grounded with IFRS knowledge to deal with complex transactions impacting holding companies.
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
As a Accountant some of your key responsibilities will involve reporting to the Holding Companies Controller. The role will be responsible for the following activities:
- Preparing statutory accounts for UK holding companies and support the audit process and answering audit queries for those entities.
- Fair valuation and impairment analysis of the Aon group (including overseas entities and dealing with multi currencies).
- Carrying out impairment review for UK group company investments and intangibles under IFRS with a high level understanding of how CGU’s work.
- An understanding and fair valuation of available for sale assets under IAS 39/ IFRS 9.
- Month-end journal processing for derivatives, intangible assets & deferred consideration.
- Supporting the standardisation of disclosures under IFRS for all UK Companies in Statutory Reporting tool, maintenance of IFRS System pro forma accounts and mapping in the tool.
- Maintaining UK accounting policies.
- Working on M&A activity providing financial due diligence and eventual accounting for such transactions and writing technical accounting memos for any such transactions.
- Dealing with complex Corporate structuring projects that may arise from time to time including, intercompany loans and leases, transfer of subsidiaries.
- Able to perform complex fair valuations for below market intra group loans, complex hybrid loan arrangements, fair valuation of investments, and fair valuation of deferred consideration.
- A good understanding of the impact of group re-organisation on individual stand-alone statutory accounts and group reporting.
- Ability to research Companies Act and Accounting standards and write accounting memos for the above transactions.
- Eventual rationalisation of entities including carrying out distributable reserves analysis, capital reductions etc
- Attending weekly governance calls.
- Linking with US Technical Accounting on new policies and standards.
- Responsible for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
As a Accountant your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
- ACA or ACCA qualified or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in accounting/reporting function, preferably including public accounting experience and similar experience in a corporate finance function.
- Sound knowledge of IFRS / US GAAP accounting standards.
- Insurance or brokerage industry experience preferred.
- Experience with financial systems preferred.
- Advance Excel user.
- Ability to demonstrate good verbal, organisational and communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare, childcare vouchers and additional holiday.