As part of an industry-leading team, you will help empower results for our clients by delivering innovative and effective solutions as part of Aon Hewitt's Global Investment Management team.
Our Global Manager Research team aims to identify fund managers with the potential to perform well in the future and who can add value to our clients’ portfolios and monitor those strategies that we hold in high regard. The array of asset classes we research for our clients is constantly under review and encompasses a broad range of traditional and alternative assets.
This role will be responsible for leading the execution and delivery of Private Equity (primarily Infrastructure) consulting materials and advice to institutional clients, specifically pension funds, plan sponsors, endowments, and foundations for Canadian, and US or non-North American mandates. As an Associate Partner, Private Equity (Infrastructure), you will report directly to Head of Research for Private Equities.
The position will also play a significant role in marketing activities intended to develop new consulting relationships. The position requires the design, coordination, preparation and delivery of consulting assignments, as well as participation in manager research efforts.
Your impact as an Associate Partner
- A key member of our global manager research team covering global and regional mandates.
- Demonstrate initiative and ownership of client and research-related work;
- Exhibit strong knowledge of private equity or infrastructure investment vehicles and industries as well as investment theory/practice and the ability to apply this knowledge to client work;
- Ability to manage and deliver complex work and client projects without supervision. This includes making presentations to and dealing directly with clients on most Aon Hewitt advice without assistance/presence of a Partner;
- Provide leadership that contributes to the success of the research area;
- Assist in the specification, evaluation, selection, and on-going improvement of the firm’s manager research analysis and knowledge management technology;
- Represent the firm to investment managers by establishing, coordinating and maintaining investment manager relationships within a defined universe of managers/products;
- Author client and consultant communications regarding investment manager developments;
- Apply good judgment and appropriate follow-through with investment managers, trustees and clients;
- Efficiently manage internal resources to allow for effective handling of multiple projects for multiple clients/consultants simultaneously;
- Coach/mentor junior professionals and maintain constructive relationships with others in the firm;
- Support the firm’s activities in general. Provide proactive and creative support to firm leadership and clients;
- Participate in and contribute to the success of marketing activities;
- Participate in the preparation and delivery of RFP responses and new business presentations;
- Acting as the primary point of contact for a selection of managers, and having the knowledge needed to be able to field any private equity/infrastructure related questions with respect to those managers;
- Supporting other members of the private equity research team as alternate researcher for a selection of managers;
- Memorializing insights developed on managers via our database;
- Communicating and challenging team views on a range of investment products;
- Work closely with other members of the Aon Hewitt's Global Investment Management team (in Europe and the US);
- Communicate with and present to institutional clients showcasing Aon Hewitt’s manager research capabilities as well as the firm’s thought leadership; and
- Contribute to the creation of thought leadership pieces
You bring skills and expertise
- The likely candidate will have 10 years plus of progressive investment experience evaluating infrastructure or private equity investment managers and/or securities from an equity, debt or investment banking type of position;
- A solid foundation of finance and investment theory and practice, including performance measurement and attribution analysis, with a private equity /infrastructure;
- Completed or working towards completion of CFA designation;
- Thorough understanding of the institutional investment industry and investment processes, ideally through direct experience in fund management, investment consulting, or previous position as a manager researcher;
- Knowledge of techniques used in stock analysis / valuation, security / fund selection and portfolio construction;
- Comprehensive understanding of investment risk metrics and their application in portfolio management;
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills. Recognizes problems and responds, systematically gathers information, sorts through complex issues, seeks input from others, addresses root cause of issues, makes timely decisions, can make difficult decisions, uses consensus when possible, and communicates decisions to others;
- A self-starter; proactive; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; asks for help when needed; develops innovative ideas and recommendations for improving work; challenges the status quo;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Strong problem solving skills. Able to break down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts;
- Excellent planning, organization and time management skills;
- Able to adapt to change, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, and adjusts plans to meet changing needs;
- Experience with pension funds, plan sponsors, endowments, and foundations desired;
- Ability to work independently on a variety of projects, receive instructions from a number of people and meet project deadlines;
- Influential, persuasive and stretches for higher levels of performance; effectively delegate’s responsibility and authority; leads by example; manages conflict; administers firm policies uniformly; inspires confidence and respect within practice area and the firm; a mentor to junior team members;
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment;
- Team player who can work well with a variety of individuals; and
- A proactive “research orientation”
- Bachelor’s degree in required, preferably in Finance, Economic, Math, Business or related discipline, or equivalent years of industry experience;
- Completion of MBA or CFA is preferred; and
- Commitment to professional development, demonstration of ongoing education in the field of Investment Consulting and Manager Research specifically in the Private Equity (Infrastructure) asset class.
Our Colleague Experience
Every day, our colleagues make a difference, work with the best, own their potential, and value one another. Together, we share this one purpose: to empower economic and human possibility around the world. This unifying goal is at the heart of our identity, and it lives in everything we do. To learn more about our colleague experience, visit Aon Colleague Experience.
Aon plc (NYSE:AON) is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
We offer you
A competitive total rewards package, continuing education & training, and tremendous potential with a growing worldwide organisation. Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.