Aon are currently recruiting a Risk Manager to join our team in Redhill. The Risk Manager will be primarily responsible for:
- Facilitating the business in assessing material risk across the business units and ensuring that appropriate ownership and action is taken where risks are incurred outside of the accepted risk appetite.
- This role provides second line support the Division and/or Business Units in providing challenge to the risk assessment, monitoring and reporting activities, including ensuring appropriate action is taken in respect of the resolution of Internal Audit and compliance monitoring issues and maintenance of a robust control environment.
- This role is important to Aon UK Limited for the following reasons:
- An appropriate risk culture is embedded with the business
- Behaviours and conduct are in line with the Aon Leadership Model
- Timely escalation of issues and potential losses to senior management and Board
- Ensuring that risk management is seen as part of business activity, rather than owned by a remote central function
- Material risks are owned by senior management within the business
- Risk assessment and management is carried out at the source of risks
- More informed risk and control assessment, fed by better information from deep within the organisation
- Greater consistency achieved across Aon UK Limited
Headquartered in London, Aon Plc is a leading global professional services firm providing a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions. Our 50,000 colleagues in 120 countries empower results for clients by using proprietary data and analytics to deliver insights that reduce volatility and improve performance.
Aon is an equal opportunities employer. Aon's recruitment and selection policy ensures the best possible skill mix of colleagues and the highest quality candidates are appointed using objective job-related criteria.
About the Role
As a Risk Manager some of your key responsibilities will involve:
- Facilitation and challenge of the regular risk assessments for the Division in line with Aon UK Limited’s enterprise risk management framework
- Supported by the Risk Director / Central Risk Team where needed, work with the Division(s) and associated Business Unit(s) to facilitate the identification, assessment and management of risks through the consistent application of the risk assessment process, as defined with Aon UK Limited’s enterprise risk management framework
- Promoting an appropriate risk culture across the division (s) and business unit(s)
- Review and challenge the process within the business unit
- Coordinating and providing effective, timely and succinct reporting to Division’s senior management team and to the Central Risk Team on the risk profile of the Division/business units, including risk appetite and management action
- Ensuring the internal control process remains high on the agenda of senior and line managers
- Provide challenge to the business units on the adherence to risk appetite statements and limits, as devolved to the Division / Business Unit(s)
- Production of timely and relevant risk MI for the Division / Business Unit(s)
- Provide support to key projects and/or initiatives to ensure that the appropriate risk materiality assessment is completed and provide challenge to the business to ensure adequate risk management is taking place and that escalation is timely
- Provide training to the business on risk and control assessment, and for risk escalation and reporting processes
- Facilitate the escalation processes in accordance with enterprise risk management policy for potential losses, risks and breaches of appetite, the maintenance of a local log, assisting the business in conducting root-cause analysis and monitoring and challenging progress against remedial action plans (including control enhancements)
- Maintaining a close working relationship with Risk Director, the Enterprise Risk and Reporting Manager and the rest of the UK Risk and Compliance team, drawing upon their support when needed and providing information and feedback on the efficacy of the risk framework, process and reporting when requested
- Liaise with other Business Risk Partners and the Enterprise Risk and Reporting Manager to ensure the approach taken within the division is consistent across the group in accordance with Aon UK Limited’s risk moderation, coverage and correlation process. Ensure that any identified actions for the Division / Business Unit(s) have been communicated and accepted
- Facilitate completion of, and challenge the outputs of periodical use tests, where appropriate to demonstrate that risk management practices are widely used across the Division and play an important role in business decisions
- Support the business unit management with the application of the policy framework across the Division or business unit
- Responsible for working in accordance with the Aon UK Limited Risk Management Framework, and compliance with the Aon UK Limited policies, including participation in the management of risks (including completion of mandatory training) that may adversely affect the business, interests or reputation of any Group Company.
As a Risk Manager your skills and qualifications will ideally include:
Preferably to Degree level (but not essential if sufficient practical experience in risk management)
Either Associate (or above) of Chartered Insurance Institute or qualified member of the Institute of Risk Management (or studying for)
Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
- Significant understanding of the specific business undertaken by the Division
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Personal credibility and obvious gravitas
- Desire to analyse business issues and risks with a view to improving business performance
- Strong risk management experience (where possible. Strong Champions with limited risk management experience can be supported whilst learning these skills)
Salary and Benefits
This role offers a competitive salary and bonus, plus a comprehensive benefits package and 25 days holiday. Through our flexible benefits, you will also have the opportunity to choose additional benefits, including healthcare, childcare vouchers and additional holiday.